The Spirit of the Mile
Call to Calgary Area Artists
The Music Mile Society of Calgary invites you to enter a new Songwriting Contest celebrating the spirit of Music Mile. The winning song will be professionally recorded and used to promote the Mile.
Craft a song that captures the spirit of Music Mile,
a sense of place, of belonging,
of coming together,
Sharing a great song on the Mile
Graphic designed by John Rutherford
Entry fee: $20 per artist
May 20th 2021: contest opens
Meet the Jury – live streamed event on Saturday, June 12 at 7 pm
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 944 9562 7597
July 20th: submission deadline 11:59pm
July 31: three finalists announced
August 15th: Finals at the Ironwood Stage & Grill
To learn more about our Jury click here.
Scott Morin, producer of three Juno winning albums
Joanna Borromeo, JUNO nominated artist
Stephanie Hutchinson, Vice-President Chronograph Records, President YYC Music Awards
Matt Blais, singer/songwriter, Songwriter-in-Residence, Calgary Public Library
Meet the Jury: Meet all four jurists in an online conversation moderated by a local radio host. Collectively, this exciting jury has a wealth of professional songwriting, performance, recording and production experience. Hear what they’re looking for in the contest entries. The video will be available on Facebook for the duration of the contest.
Eligibility: Artists of any age, writing in any genre, living within a 50 km radius of Calgary.
How to enter: E-mail a private stream link either audio or video (.mp3 or .mp4) to using SONGWRITING CONTEST in the subject line or enter via Stagehand.app.
Selection process: The jurists will select three finalists and notify them by July 31st. 11:59pm.
The FINALS!: The three finalists will perform at the Ironwood Stage & Grill on Sunday, August 15th, hopefully in front of a live jury and audience. Bring your friends to cheer you on! If COVID restrictions are still in place, we reserve the right to make alternative arrangements. Note: we’re choosing the best song, not the best singer!
1) An all-expenses paid recording session at OCL Studios in Chestermere to record and mix your Music Mile song, with Scott Morin and Matt Blais providing pre- and production mentorship and/or artistic direction as required.
2) A distribution contract for the single courtesy of Chronograph Records.
3) A $100 gift certificate from Spolumbo’s Fine Foods & Deli, $75 gift certificate from Recordland, $50 from Long & McQuade, and gift certificates from Music Mile shops.
Second and Third Prize: Gift certificates from Spolumbo’s, Recordland, Long & McQuade and more Music Mile shops. More prizes may be added throughout the contest. Check back!
Second and Third Prize: Gift certificates from Music Mile businesses and/or Calgary music stores. All three finalists will be featured as the cover article in the Music Mile newsletter.
- email a private streaming link of your song – audio or video, to using SONGWRITING CONTEST in the subject line or enter via Stagehand.app
· $20 Entry fee payable by e-transfer to . Please label your e-transfer SONGWRITING CONTEST. Your entry will be complete when payment is received.
- Registration cost to enter is $20 per artist, artists can submit multiple songs with the one-time fee
· Submission deadline 11:59pm Tuesday, July 20th, 2021
· If you submit in video format, the jury will not watch the video, just listen to the audio.
· The song must be an original work written by the entering songwriter. If the song is created by more than one individual, please identify all contributing artists and their credits on the song.
· The song may be performed by a musician other than the songwriter(s).
· The song must not have been previously published in any form or awarded a prize in any other song-writing competition at time of application.
· The entrant gives the rights to the Music Mile Society to record, photograph and publish any portion of the winning song for promotional purposes. The copyright of the song remains with the entrant.
· Music Mile Board members are not eligible to enter this contest.
· Failure to comply with rules will result in disqualification. The judges’ decisions are final and will not be open to appeal. Entry implies acceptance of these conditions.
If you have questions, please write to James at
Director, Music Mile Society of Calgary